Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Soy supreme

Not all the cliches about journalists are true.

We don't all smoke. We don't wear hats with a "PRESS" sticker in them. I've heard at least some of us aren't liberals.

But we do, in fact, live for getting free food.

Stone-hard candy corn from the Cartoon Network? Ate it.

Crappy buffet while covering a speaker? Ate it.

Bad donuts brought by the cops reporter? Scarfed them down.

My wife may have come home with the mother lode from her visit to some place called Grandpa's Farm the other day -- chocolate-covered soybeans. Think miniature peanut M&Ms with a kitschy Nebraska twist. The don't taste as good as peanut M&Ms. They're a littler gamier, ie: Chicken is to pheasant as peanut M&Ms are to chocolate-covered soybeans.

According to something called the Nebraska Soybean Checkoff, soybeans are quickly gaining on corn as Nebraska's top crop. Not sure if I believe that, but I like the candy.

I'd be willing to support a soybean insurgency. Replace all diesel with soy biodeisel. Replace all meat with tofu. Replace are candy-coated-shell sweets with chocolate-covered soybeans.

And -- dare I say it? -- swap out the University of Nebraska's nickname. The Cornhuskers are at an all-time low anyway. Along with a new coach and new AD, we need a new nickname.

Watch out for the Nebraska Soybeaners in 2008.

Now, where'd I put that free food?

4 comments:

Jeannine said...

I'm laughing like crazy here!

Veronica said...

This is my favorite post.
And thank you for giving me credit for procuring the chocolately treats.

Anonymous said...

This is so true.
And those chocolately soy candies sound really good.

Jeannine said...

Ah! When can we read another great work by Dane Stickney?