Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Feel the burn

Anyone who's ever gone to a Thai, New Mexican or Chinese joint with me knows I like to bring the heat.

Phad Prik Khing? Make it 10 out of 10.

A veggie tamale? Hit me with the hottest red and green chili sauces.

Kung Pao Tofu? Put a bunch of those seared hot peppers in there, baby.

Some of you may remember the notorious chipotle in adobo chili soup incident in college. That stuff was so freaking hot I could literally see steam shooting out my navel. (Note: I don't use literally literally.)

I thought I was going to surpass that lore this weekend. A business reporter brought a bunch of habanero peppers (aka Scotch bonnets, aka the King of Capsaicin, aka Lucifer in a Lump) to work. That's the little bastard there on the left. Being the flaming freak I am, I took a bunch, chopped them up, mixed them with veggies and a spicy Szechuan sauce and made a stir fry fit for Scoville. (Peppers are graded according to heat using something called Scoville units, I'm guessing named after a dude who likes fiery treats as much as I do.)

Veronica's eyes starting watering the next room from the heat. Rye started coughing.

After a few bites, my nose started running uncontrollably. My mouth was so hot it felt cold. It was like swallowing a light bulb. But it was pretty damn good.

Veronica asked me why I would do something like that.

Here's why:
I'm nearing 30, married, have a son, work a full-time up-and-down job, live in the suburbs, am slowly losing my hair, the Huskers freaking blow and I have no recreational outlets other than walking a cement trail around a man-made lake in the middle of McMansions.

In short, you seek whatever thrill you can get even if it's just a taste-bud roller coaster.

4 comments:

Veronica said...

That was awesome. Really well-written. I get what you're saying about seeking the thrill. But honestly it seemed like you were in pain!

Jeff said...

Over 30 ...

Practically bald ...

That's me.

Anonymous said...

Haha. This sounds like something Adam and I would do. More specifically, something Adam would decide to do and then I would want to try.

I like your blog by the way.

Jeannine said...

Wow! You're to much on the wild side for me. Crazy man! Are you sure I should let you around my husband?