Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Belgian beers

Wow. I've discovered Belgian beers and there's no going back.

What I've tried:

Saison
Ommegang Hennepin -- One of my favorite beers ever. Brewed in New York, but in the Belgian style.
Boulevard Saison -- Solid variety. It's spiced, which is a little much for me.

Single
Ommegang Rare Vos -- Good, not as good as Hennepin.

Double
Westmalle Dubbel -- Sweet and complex. A nice choice.

Triple
St. Bernardus Tripel -- Very good. But not as good as their Quad.
Delirium Tremens-- Very spicy. Again, if that's you're thing ...

Quad
St. Bernardus Abt. 12 -- My favorite beer now. Very complex and just incredible.

Wish list
1. Westvleteren 12 -- The consensus top beer in the world, this quad is also very rare and expensive.
2. Rochefort 10 -- The poor man's Westy.
3. Westmalle Tripel -- The originator of the style.
4. La Fin Du Monde -- A Quebec Belgian-style triple that's supposed to be awesome. I tried it years ago but need to give it another go.
5. Chimay -- A common Belgian style in the US that I haven't gotten around to.

2 comments:

Jonathan said...

Hey Dane, don't forget to pair your tasty Belgian beers with a nice wild boar sausage. Then it would be like that overpriced Belgian restaurant for yuppies where waiters dressed like monks I went to in Covent Garden on that trip to London "back in the day".

BEER LIFE said...

if you haven't yet, give the chimay a try, the grand reserve is a current favorite ;-)